Internship Expat Centre Leiden
Duration: A minimum of four months
Term: Starting February or September
Are you looking for an interesting, international internship in Leiden? Are you pro-active, independent, and an English speaker? This Internship at the Expat Centre Leiden gives you a chance to help build and develop our non-profit organization while expanding your own skills.
What is the Expat Centre Leiden?
The Expat Centre Leiden (ECL) is part of Leiden&Partners and a cooperation between six municipalities, businesses and knowledge institutes. The ECL is a public-private collaboration, for which it was nominated for an award by CLOK. We offer services to quickly increasing numbers of expats, their families and the companies they work for in all phases of the expat’s assignment: ‘Coming to, Settling in, Living in and Leaving to’. By helping the internationals, we help the companies that hire them and thus the investment climate.
Internationals and their families can contact the regional Expat Centre for government facilities such as a municipal registration, information about driver’s licenses and child support. The ECL has an in-house desk for face to face or email information about questions regarding anything that will make the expat’s life in the Leiden region easier. Questions range from international schools that offer A-levels or IB, the health care system in the Netherlands to the best bakery in town. We also offer a network for internationals to get in touch with each other through events and activities. Last but not least we refer internationals to partnered businesses that will be relevant for them like banks, tax and legal advisers.
How do we need your help?
We need people who are willing to help build this centre and enable us to extend our services. We need someone who ‘sees’ what needs to happen. Also, someone who doesn’t mind doing day to day operational work. This internship is a combination of building/developing and research, for instance:
- Research the expats’ needs for courses and workshops and the financial business for these courses.
- Create a database of organisations relevant for internationals.
- Keep in touch with the ECL partners.
- Execution of partner services.
- Find relevant new partners in the Leiden region.
- Website management (small CMS changes).
What do we need?
- You study for instance International Business and Management/and languages; International Studies; Commercial Economics; Facility Management; Marketing and Communication; European Studies; Management, Economics and Law, but any education HBO level or above, combined with the right skills, is an option.
- You are available for at least 32 hours a week.
- You are pro-active, flexible and results oriented.
- You are independent and organized.
- You have a hands-on mentality.
- You have an international mindset.
- You have English skills on native or near-native speaker level (required)
- You have Dutch language skills (appreciated but not mandatory)
What’s in it for you?
You get to work in a non-profit company in the start-up phase, a company where governmental services meet a business mindset. In this pioneer stage of the company not much is set in stone yet which will give you a lot of freedom, responsibility, and will learn a range of new skills.
The ECL is part of Leiden&Partners and located in the Handelshuis (Trade House), where on average, five other interns work. A fun and informative environment.
This internship offers you an opportunity to improve your Dutch language skills and connect with Dutch students and employees working in the Handelshuis. It is an excellent chance to learn about and integrate into Dutch culture while working in an environment where English will be the main language used.
We offer a € 250 internship fee and internship guidance by an experienced bilingual supervisor.
If you are interested, you can apply for an internship in 2 different time slots: February-July or September-January.
Please send your motivational letter and resume to Corine van der Ceelen, Manager Expat Centre Leiden, at email@example.com and you could become part of the Expat Centre Leiden team!
The start and end date will be mutually agreed with the candidates. We’re looking for an internship of at least four months.