Internship Leiden International Centre
Duration: A minimum of four months
Term: Starting February or September
Internship at Leiden International Centre
Are you looking for an interesting, international internship in Leiden? Are you pro-active, independent and fluent in English? As an intern at Leiden International Centre, you will develop a range of skills and contribute directly to the expansion of our non-profit organisation.
What is Leiden International Centre?
Leiden International Centre (LIC), formerly Expat Centre Leiden, is a business unit of Leiden&Partners. We are funded by our local business partners, knowledge institutes and five municipalities. We offer (mostly free) services to internationals and their employers in all phases of the expat’s journey: ‘Coming to, Settling in, Living in and Leaving’. Helping internationals and the companies that hire them benefits the investment climate, economy and culture in the region. Internationals can contact Leiden International Centre's helpdesk for registration (BSN) appointments, free information and to ask questions on all matters. Our website, social media and newsletters provide a wide variety of information for expats. We also offer a network for internationals to get in touch with each other through free informative and social events. Last but not least, we refer internationals to our trusted business partners who offer services such as financial advice, legal advice, housing, language courses and more.
What will you do?
We are a small team (3 permanent staff) and our interns are integral to LIC’s operations. As an intern, you will be given the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, both independently and with the support of your colleagues. Your responsibilities will include researching, marketing, project management, and helping to develop and expand LIC.
Tasks will vary throughout your internship and will include:
- Updating our social media channels with posts for our different target groups (internationals, employers and our business partners)
- Researching information, events, articles and blogs that are interesting and relevant to our target audience
- Keeping in touch with the LIC partners and helping to build a strong professional partnership with them
- Website management: the CMS needs to be updated constantly with partner information, news and events.
- Creating and compiling the monthly newsletter and the tri-annual Corporate Newsletter (with input from our partners)
- Co-organising online and in-person events such as the Welcome to Leiden event and the monthly Meet & Mingle
- Supporting our helpdesk during BSN appointments and answering questions from internationals.
You will not be expected to have prior experience in these tasks and will be given training and support throughout your internship. If you are required to complete a research project for your studies, we can facilitate this (and have done so successfully in the past).
What do we need?
- Any education HBO level or above, combined with the right skills, will be considered. However, this internship is especially relevant to students of International Business and Management; International Studies; Facility Management; Marketing and Communication; European Studies.
- You are available for at least 32 hours/4 days per week, and for at least 4 months.
- You live within commuting distance of Leiden.
- You are pro-active, flexible and results oriented.
- You are independent and organised.
- You have a hands-on mentality.
- You have an international mindset.
- You are fluent in English (required).
- You have some Dutch language skills (appreciated but not mandatory).
What’s in it for you?
You get to work in a non-profit company which is continuously expanding, where governmental services meet a business mindset. We will give you a lot of freedom, responsibility, and the opportunity to learn a range of new skills. LIC is part of Leiden&Partners and the office is located in the Handelshuis (above Leiden's Tourist Information). This is a fun and informative environment where interns are highly valued. There will be at least one other intern in the LIC team working alongside you, as well as several more working in the office for the other Leiden&Partners business units. There is also the possibility to work 50% from home. This internship offers you an opportunity to improve your Dutch language skills and connect with Dutch employees working in the Handelshuis. It is an excellent chance to learn about and integrate into Dutch culture.
Many of our former interns have found full-time positions after completing their internship (both within and outside the organisation). We are happy to support your career development and provide references for future job applications. We offer a monthly salary of €250 for 4 days per week or a monthly salary €300 for 5 days per week.
We recruit interns 3-4 times per year. We are currently looking for interns for the fall 2023. The start and end date will be mutually agreed with the candidates. We’re looking for an internship of at least four months.
Please send your motivational letter and CV to email@example.com.