Molen De Put
Mill 'De Put' owes its name to miller Jan Jansz. Put, owner of the mill that stood on this spot in the 17th century. The mill was rebuilt in the 1980s. The mill is located on the northern bank of the Rhine. This was built at the beginning of the 17th century. The city prospered and the population grew steadily. After the Relief of Leiden in 1574, the city had 10,000 inhabitants, in 1600 there were already 24,000. Leiden was the largest city after Amsterdam and overcrowded. The city council therefore decided to expand on this side of the city.