2312 KC LEIDEN
The Hooglandsekerk became a collegiate church with 24 priests in 1365.
One of three medieval parish churches. It was first a wooden chapel built in 1314, which was rebuilt in stone soon after. It was enlarged from 1380 onwards, but never finished due to lack of money.
Although most Pilgrims who died in Leiden were buried in or around the Pieterskerk, a few were buried in the Hooglandsekerk, including a child of William Brewster’s, who died in June, 1609, shortly after the Pilgrims arrived in Leiden.